Back to School Jitters
Well it is back to school time and it can be nerve-racking for both children and parents! Especially here at the preschool where for some children this is their first school experience and possibly their first time away from mom and dad. After 16 years of experience with preschoolers and also from my experience as a mom, I would like to offer you some advice for the next coming weeks. Below are my top 10 things to remember for your preschooler's the first days of school:
1. Dress your child for fun and play.
2. Always have your child wear sneakers or comfortable shoes.
3. Send in a family photo to help your child to feel more comfortable at school.
4. Read all notices sent home and information posted throughout the school.
5. Pack an extra set of clothes in your child's school bag. A favorite toy or comfort
item can be sent in as well to help with separation.
6. Read books at home about school and school activities.
7. Talk to your child about what they did at school. Information on the classroom
boards will tell you exactly what they did all day and give you some great ideas
for what to talk about.
8. Always be positive and encouraging about school and all the fun your child will
have. Children can sense your anxiety even if you don't talk about it.
9. Give your child a big kiss and a hug and say goodbye.
10. Leave. Call the school in 20 minutes to get a report about how your child is
doing. Children need to fully separate in order to adjust. Lingering around in the
classroom or outside the school building just makes the separation process more
Remember school is a positive experience for your child. While it may take some time for your child to adjust, in the end they will come to learn that school is a fun place to learn and play with friends.